Sunday, November 9, 2008

McKayla's New Pet

About two weeks ago McKayla came home with a new pet. She found a Tomato Hornworm Caterpillar at school. She and her friends put it into a container and made it a little bed, fed it, and even labeled it (by themselves) with it's name "Cherry the Caterpillar."After a week the caterpillar started going through some changes. Kevin, of course, thought it was dying! It actually made a cocoon! It kind of looks like something else but I assure you that it is an actual cocoon! We did a little research and found out that the caterpillars actually bury themselves under the soil, make their cocoon, and then sleep ALL winter long. When spring arrives they emerge as a large moth. McKayla is holding out until spring, she is so excited! Kevin and I can't wait until it is out of the house!

6 comments:

MillerTime said...

Maybe a better name would be Chub or Woody ... just a thought!!

Maile's said...

how fun!! love the name- what a fun mom you are letting her keep it and doing research..
she looks super happy!

Tonya said...

Oooh! Make sure you post pics of the moth in the spring! Shaylie found one once and we researched the same info you found...but alas, I did not let her keep it. We let it go in the grass so it could dig in, and Shaylie cried; but we saw a moth not too long after and Shaylie was sure it was her "pet." Good luck!

Kris said...

McKayla the Scientist! John would be proud!! Love her nails too!

TAMPA said...

Mary... thank you so much for what you said on my blog !!! Seriously, made my week.. :>) You are a good mama to your kids.. it is written all over their smiles :>)

kathyhales said...

I love it! This made me smile! I should bring my kids to St. George and we could all hang together.